Monday, December 5, 2011
Thesis Statement
In this paper, I will be critically analyzing the seemingly diverse representations of maternal figures on the hit TV series “Modern Family,” by exploring the ways that mothering is constituted traditionally by keeping the primary caregivers within the domestic sphere. Specifically, I will argue that the character Claire fits into the most common stereotype of the perfect mother since she is unemployed and is the primary care provider for her three children. Secondly, I will argue that the character of Gloria plays up the new age ideal for a mother in the eyes on a man, she is beautiful and acts more as a friend to her son Manny than as a caring mother, also she isn’t seen performing any of the same type of chores as Claire is. Lastly, I will explore the character of Cameron, a homosexual father of an adopted Vietnamese baby Lilly, who despite having a seemingly different responsibility to demonstrate the style of a different household, falls under the same stereotypes as a “perfect” mother. The show does its best to demonstrate families in a “modern” way, but through the expectations of the producers the show doesn’t do the real modern families of America justice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this is an interesting choice. The show Modern Family is such a big hit and the maternal parenting is different in each family on the show.
ReplyDeleteInteresting to note that you said Primary Caregiver for Claire, which is the nurturing sense is true, but her husband Phil is the Primary Provider in which Claire wouldn't have the luxury of her *motherly time* if he wasn't bringing in the bacon, so-to-speak.
Gloria is the example of poor parenting, in the sense that she doesnt set boundaries between being a mother and being a friend. It is wonderful to be friendly, but at the same time, if a parent can't control or discipiline or advise, they might as well just sit in the background, because ultimately the child will do whatever he or she wants. Interesting that Gloria doesn't do the same things as Claire, but it could be that they are better off financially and she doesn't worry about the little things.. not sure.
I think you chose a great topic. Good Job!